Interpreting your Search Results

While most subjects run the length of a semester (or trimester) with a smallish number of contact hours each week, other subjects are run as "intensives". These usually require attendance every day over a small period of time, usually 1-3 weeks. A "Regular" answer here therefore indicates that the subject is offered over the course of a semester (or trimester), while an "Intensive" answer here indicates that the subject is offered in intensive mode. A "Both available" answer indicates that the same subject is offered in both modes at this university.

This is the identifying code for this particular subject at this university. Note that "subjects" are also known variously as "units" and "courses", and likewise other terms may be used in place of "subject code" on university websites.

Some universities have pre-existing arrangements with other universities for the teaching of languages subjects. A "Yes" answer here means this subject is taught via another university on behalf of the university which offers the subject. To find out more, click on the "More Information" button below the results box. A "No" answer here means this subject is taught by the offering university, i.e. the one whose logo appears at the top of the results box. Read more about cross-institutional enrolment here.

Some languages are only able to be offered on a rotating cycle, such as every two years. "Offered in" gives the year in which the particular subject is (next) expected to be available at this university. If the "Offered in" year is the current year, this means the subject has been offered or will be offered this year. Click on the "More Information" button below the results box to find out further details directly from the university (clicking this button will take you to an external site).

A "Beginner" answer indicates that this subject is intended for students who have no prior knowledge of the language. A "Post-Year 12" answer to this question indicates that this subject is a typical entry point for those who have studied the language through to Year 12. It is important to note that most universities have several possible entry points depending on proficiency, not all of which are listed on this site. For each language at each university we have endeavoured to list the subject which is the most typical entry point for a Year 12 student - but this is not a guaranteed entry point. The actual entry point might be different for you. Most universities require students to sit a placement test to determine their actual level of proficiency and to ensure that they are enrolled in the most suitable class.

More and more subjects are available online, which opens up new possibilities for study for students right around the country! A "Fully online" answer here indicates that the subject in question has no on-campus requirement at all. An "On-campus" answer here indicates that the subject is either taught entirely on-campus, or it has a mix of on-campus and online contact hours. A "Both available" answer here indicates that the same subject is available either Fully online or On-campus - the student generally decides which mode during/after enrolment. Note that the offering of subjects online or on-campus may change depending on restrictions relating to COVID-19 which are in place at the time.

Availability of languages

Only a few of the world’s 7,000 languages can be learned at universities in Australia. A few others can be studied in universities outside Australia. In some instances there may already be plans for the introduction of a language somewhere around the country, or the language may be offered in alternate years. Contact us with your specific query.

Find a language subject listed on this website which interests you, and investigate whether you can take it cross-institutionally.


No, unfortunately you can’t! To enquire about enrolling in a subject, contact the appropriate university directly.

Every university has different cut-off dates for enrolment. You will need to contact the university directly for key dates specific to the subject you are interested in. Follow the ‘More Information’ link given for the subject.

If you are a student at one university and you would like to study a subject at another university, you need to know if both universities will allow ‘cross-institutional enrolment’. Most universities do, but there will be some conditions or limitations, including specific deadlines that will need to be met. For more information, see the Cross-Institutional Enrolment section of this website.

Yes, a subject taken at a university other than your own will usually only be approved by your university if it will count towards your degree. For more information, see the Cross-Institutional Enrolment section of this website.

You will need to contact the university directly for all relevant costs. If you are enrolling in a subject cross-institutionally, you are required to be enrolled simultaneously in both universities. You will only pay once for the subject you are taking, but may also be required to pay Student Services and Amenities Fees at both universities. For more information, see the Cross-Institutional Enrolment section of this website.

Degree Structures

A ‘major’ is a sequence of subjects that you complete throughout your degree, allowing you to specialise in a particular discipline. A ‘minor’ is a secondary sequence, requiring fewer subjects for completion. The number of subjects required for a major differs between universities. An ‘elective’ is a subject chosen from a list of additional subjects in order for you to meet your degree requirements.

You will need to contact the university directly to ask what sequences are possible within your degree structure.

Most universities that offer a language at undergraduate level will also offer that language to postgraduates. Contact the university directly to confirm availability.

Intensive language courses are offered at a number of universities, either as short courses available to the general public, or in the form of condensed periods of study (for already-enrolled students) such as summer semesters. Intensive language subjects may also be offered ‘in-country’, meaning your period of study would be completed during a period living in a location in which that language is spoken.

Some universities will permit students to enrol in a single subject, without that subject counting towards a degree. This is called ‘non-award’ study. There are fees involved in this, and the fees will differ depending on the subject, and whether you intend to complete the assessment tasks. If you are interested in studying in this way, contact the university directly for more information.

A Diploma of Languages, sometime called the the Diploma of Language or the Diploma of Modern Languages, is a sub-degree that you can do while doing your undergraduate degree at most universities offering language courses. At some universities you can even just do a Diploma of Languages on its own. A Diploma is equivalent to 3 years of language study (a major), and is a great way of giving you access to language study. Having a Diploma of Languages is also really useful for travel and work. Check the website of the university you're interested in to find out if they offer a Diploma of Languages, and what their specific requirements are.


You will need a computer and internet access. Contact the university directly for any specific requirements for software or applications.

If the subject is available ‘fully online’ you should not need to attend the campus for any regular contact hours. You may, however, be required to attend the campus to organise your Student ID card or for other administrative reasons. Some ‘blended’ courses may require you to attend one or more intensive sessions. Contact the university directly for specific requirements.

Language subjects vary greatly in how many contact hours are required—the same language offered at beginner level will have different contact hours at different universities. Universities also differ on what they define as ‘contact hours’. Click on the ‘More Information’ link for the subject listing—this will take you to the university’s Handbook listing which should provide you with their description of contact hours.


Ab-initio is a Latin term meaning ‘from the beginning’. It is used interchangeably with the terms ‘beginner’, ‘introductory’ or ‘elementary’ to refer to a course of study that assumes no previous knowledge of the language.

Most universities will require you to complete a proficiency test and/or satisfy specific entry requirements to ensure you are enrolled at the correct level. Contact the university directly to discuss what might be most appropriate for you.

Navigating the Portal: Some examples

Click on Search by University on the home page and then select the individual universities you are interested in, or select the 'All WA' option if you would like to see all options available at all universities in WA.

Click on the ‘More Information’ link for this subject—it will take you directly to the university’s own website. In most instances the link will be to the university’s ‘Handbook’ entry for that subject, and this should provide you with the most up-to-date information for things such as contact hours, enrolment dates and when the subject is next offered.

Click on Search by Language on the home page and select 'Spanish'. You can narrow your search to limit the results to specific universities, states and modes of delivery (intensive, online, etc), as well as proficiency level. If you don't wish to filter your results at all, you can also go to the What languages can I study page and select 'Spanish' from this list. This will generate results for every Spanish beginner-level and post-year 12 level subject, at every university around Australia.

Information for Year 12 Students

Some universities offer ‘bonus points’ to students who have completed studies in a language other than English to Year 12 level. These bonus points raise your Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) which may make it easier for you to get into the course of your choice. The bonus points scheme is an example of the value that many universities place on learning languages. See Why study languages? for more information.

Use our site to help your students discover which universities offer continuing studies in their language, or beginner level studies in a new language—see our What languages can I study? page. We also provide information on language bonuses and ways to encourage your students to continue their language learning journey—see our Why study languages? page for more.